1 whole, 3-lb chicken
1 fresh lemon, cut in half
1/4 tsp salt
4 tsp olive oil
1 tbsp fresh rosemary leaves
freshly ground black pepper, to taste
How to prepare
1. Cut the chicken lengthwise down the back, remove and discard the backbone. Flatten the chicken by pressing down on the breastbone. Remove and discard skin from the breast, legs and thighs.
2. Rub the meat with one lemon half. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Heat a large cast-iron or non-stick skillet and add 2 tsp olive oil. When the oil is very hot, place the flattened chicken, flesh-side down, in the pan. Brush the remaining olive oil over the chicken and sprinkle with rosemary.
4. Set a flat plate or another skillet on top of the cooking chicken and then add weight by placing a large, heavy can or two bricks on top of the plate or skillet. (note: this further flattens the chicken.)
5. Cook for 35 minutes over medium heat, turning the chicken every 10 minutes.
6. Squeeze the juice of the remaining lemon half over the chicken and serve immediately. Garnish with sprigs of fresh rosemary.
Makes 4 servings.
Prepared 1/27/95 by actress/singer susan anton. From: mike n maty