1 lb round steak, cubed
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1 can mushrooms stems and pieces
1/2 cup beef broth
1 med potato, peeled & cut in 1/2″ dice
2 medium carrots, peeled, sliced
1 small onion, minced
1 egg, beaten with 1 tbsp water, optional
How to prepare
1. Mix flour, salt and pepper. Put in plastic bag with steak. Shake until meat is coated. Save any remaining flour.
2. Heat large skillet or dutch oven with a little butter. Add meat. Cook, stirring frequently until browned. Stir in reserved flour.
3. Drain mushroom liquid into a measuring cup. Add broth to measure 1 cup. Add to meat. Bring to a boil.
4. Cover. Simmer, stirring frequently for 1 hour or until meat is tender. Add more broth if beef becomes dry.
5. Turn into a 9″ pie plate. Distribute mushrooms, potato, carrots and onion evenly over meat. Add 1/2 cup broth.
6. Roll 2/3 of pastry in circle 1/2″ larger than pie plate. Put on top of filling. Cut steam vents. Brush with water-egg mixture. Roll out remaining pastry and cut decorative shapes to arrange on pie.
7. Bake at 400f for 35 – 40 minutes or until browned.