2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup granulated sugar
8 ounces (2 sticks) unsalted butter, chilled
8-ounce package cream cheese
1/2 cup cinnamon sugar (mix 1/2 cup granulated sugar plus 1 tbsp cinnamon)
1 cup finely chopped pecans
8 ounces finely chopped bittersweet chocolate
1 egg, beaten slightly for use as egg-wash
How to prepare
1. In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, salt, sugar, cream cheese and butter. Mix approximately 2-3 minutes for a soft dough.
2. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and shape into a rectangle. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour. (note: you want to work the dough cold.)
3. Place dough on a pastry cloth and roll out into a rectangle approximately 1/4″ thick. Trim edges even.
4. Brush pastry rectangle with egg-wash. Sprinkle dough with cinnamon sugar, then chocolate, then nuts.
5. Carefully roll dough into a long log. Refrigerate log for 1/2 hour.
6. Brush log with more egg-wash, then cut into 1″ slices. Place slices on cookie sheet which has been sprayed with vegetable spray or covered with baking parchment.
7. Bake rugelach at 350 degrees f for 25-30 minutes.
Makes 12 pieces.
Prepared 12/12/94 by pastry chef gina de michael, co-founder of haute cakes pastry shop in newport beach. From: mike n maty