3 cups chicken broth
1 quart (4 cups) clam juice
1 1/2 lb chopped clams, fresh or frozen
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup cornstarch
1/2 lb mushrooms, thinly sliced
2 large red bell peppers, seeded and diced
1 bunch scallions, sliced into 1/4″ pieces
5 tsp tamari or soy sauce
How to prepare
1. In a large soup pot, bring chicken broth and 3 cups clam juice to a boil. Add clams and black pepper and simmer for 30 minutes, or until the clams are tender.
2. In a small bowl, whisk cornstarch into the remaining 1 cup clam juice until the cornstarch is dissolved.
3. When the clams are tender, whisk the cornstarch mixture into the simmering soup. It should thicken quickly, turning cloudy at first, then becoming clear.
4. Stir in mushrooms, red peppers, scallions and tamari. Bring the soup back to a boil and stir over medium heat for 1 additional minute. Remove the pot from the heat, cover and let stand for 5 minutes.
5. Serve chowder in large soup bowls and garnish with a sprig of fresh parsley.
Makes 6 servings.
Prepared 12/13/94 by brother peter reinhardt, from his cookbook sacramental magic in a small town cafe. From: mike n maty