2 tbsp cooking oil (canola or peanut oil are good choices)
3/4 lb flank steak, thinly sliced
1 tsp minced ginger
3/4 lb asparagus, tough ends removed, thinly sliced diagonally
1/2 small onion, thinly sliced
1/4 cup chicken broth
1 tbsp black bean sauce
1/2 tsp sugar, optional
1 tsp cornstarch dissolved in 2 tsp water
How to prepare
1. Heat wok or non-stick frying pan until hot.
2. Add 1 tbsp of cooking oil. Add beef and stir-fry for 2 minutes, or until beef is barely pink. Remove beef from wok.
3. Add remaining tbsp of cooking oil to wok. Add ginger and cook 10 seconds.
4. Add asparagus and onion; stir-fry for 30 seconds.
5. Add broth. Cover and cook for 2 minutes.
6. Return beef to wok. Add black bean sauce, sugar and cornstarch solution.
7. Cook, stirring, until sauce comes to a boil and thickens slightly.
Prepared 3/28/95 by chef martin yan. From: mike n maty