1 1/2 pounds all-purpose potatoes (about 3 large), peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
1/4 cup milk
2 tablespoons margarine or butter (1/4 stick)
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 can (14 1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes
2 pounds ground beef chuck
2 large eggs
3/4 cup seasoned dried bread crumbs
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 garlic clove, minced
1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
How to prepare
1. In 3-quart saucepan, heat potatoes and enough water to cover to boiling over high heat. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 10 to 15 minutes until potatoes are fork-tender. Drain potatoes and return to saucepan. Add milk, margarine or butter, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. With potato masher, mash potatoes until mixture is smooth; set aside.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In blender at high speed or in food processor with knife blade attached, blend tomatoes with their juice and 1/2 cup water until smooth.
3. In large bowl, mix ground beef, eggs, bread crumbs, grated Parmesan, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon pepper, and 1/2 cup tomato mixture until well combined but not overmixed.
4. Onto long sheet of waxed paper (14″ by 12″), pat meat mixture into 11″ by 9″ rectangle. Spread mashed potatoes over meat rectangle leaving a 1-inch border all around. Place spinach over potatoes; sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt.
5. Starting at a narrow end, roll meat with potatoes and spinach, jelly-roll fashion, lifting waxed paper and using long, metal spatula to loosen meat from waxed paper. Carefully place rolled meat loaf, seam side down, in 13″ by 9″ glass or ceramic baking dish.
6. Pour remaining tomato mixture over and around meat loaf. Bake meat loaf 1 hour and 15 minutes. Let meat loaf stand 10 minutes before slicing.