1 6 1/2-pound roasting chicken
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon paprika
2 tablespoons apple jelly
1 cup milk
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon chicken-flavor instant bouillon
parsley sprigs for garnish
How to prepare
1. Remove giblets and neck from chicken; refrigerate for use in soup another day. Rinse chicken with running cold water and drain well. Place chicken, breast-side up, on rack in roasting pan.
2. Cut lemon crosswise in half. Rub chicken all over with cut sides of lemon; place lemon halves in cavity of chicken. Lift chicken wings toward neck, then fold them under back of chicken so they stay in place. With string, tie legs together.
3. Rub chicken with thyme, pepper, paprika, and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt. Insert meat thermometer into thickest part of thigh, next to body, being careful that pointed end of thermometer does not touch bone. Roast chicken in 375 degrees F. oven 2 hours, basting occasionally with pan drippings for an attractive sheen. When chicken turns golden, cover loosely with a tent of foil. Start checking for doneness during last 30 minutes of roasting.
4. After chicken has roasted 1 hour, prepare Wild-Rice Pilaf (see below).
5. About 10 minutes before chicken is done, remove foil. In cup, stir apple jelly with fork until smooth; brush jelly over chicken. Chicken is done when thermometer reaches 175 to 180 degrees F. and thickest part of drumstick feels soft when pressed with fingers protected by paper towels. Place chicken on warm large platter; let stand 15 minutes for easier carving. Set the roasting pan aside.
6. Prepare gravy: Remove rack from roasting pan; spoon off fat from drippings. Add 1 cup water to drippings, stirring to loosen brown bits; pour into small saucepan. Add milk, flour, instant bouillon, and 1/4 teaspoon salt; stir until blended. Over high heat, heat to boiling, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to low; simmer 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Pour gravy into gravy boat.
7. To serve, arrange Wild-Rice Pilaf on platter with chicken; garnish with parsley sprigs. Serve with gravy.
In 3-quart saucepan over high heat, heat 3 cups water, one 4-ounce package wild rice (2/3 cup), 1 extra large vegetable bouillon cube or 2 envelopes instant vegetable broth and seasoning to boiling. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 25 minutes. Stir in 3/4 cup parboiled rice and 1/2 teaspoon salt; over high heat, heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 20 minutes longer or until liquid is absorbed and both kinds of rice are tender. Stir in one 3-ounce can pecan halves, toasted and coarsely chopped, 1 red apple, diced, and 2 tablespoons chopped parsley; heat through.