1/3 oz active dry yeast (1/3 package)
3 1/2 cups bleached, all-purpose flour
1/2 cup malnati blend oil (90 per cent corn oil, 10 per cent olive oil)
1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/3 cups warm water (100-150 f.)
1/2 cup canned whole peeled pear tomatoes
1/2 cup canned whole peeled crushed tomatoes
1/2 lb mozzarella cheese
1/2 lb italian sausage
1/4 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
1/4 tsp dried basil
1/4 tsp dried oregano
How to prepare
1. Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees f. Oil bottom of 14×2″ deep steel pizza pan with 1 tbsp malnati blend oil.
2. In a small bowl dissolve yeast in warm water. Add sugar, salt, flour, and oil. Mix all ingredients until a smooth ball forms.
Note: this step is easier if you use a mixer with a dough hook.
3. Transfer dough ball to a lightly oiled medium-sized bowl. Turn dough to coat with oil and cover bowl. Set covered bowl aside and allow dough to rise at room temperature (approximately 1 hour).
4. Mix tomatoes and set aside. Cook sausage, drain, and set aside.
5. Place dough in oiled pizza pan. Spread dough so it covers bottom of the pan and comes 1 1/4″ up the sides of the pan. Sides of dough should be slightly thicker than bottom.
6. Spread mozzarella cheese evenly over crust. Spread sausage over cheese. Spoon on tomato sauce mixture evenly over sausage. Mix parmesan cheese and oregano and basil and sprinkle over tomatoes.
7. Bake pizza at 450 degrees on lowest oven rack for 10 minutes. Move pizza to middle oven rack and continue baking for an additional 15 to 20 minutes. Remove pizza and let stand 5 minutes before cutting.
Prepared 1/18/95 by lou malnati of malnati’s pizzeria in chicago. From: mike n maty